Accomplished communications and marketing manager with more than 16 years of professional experience that encompasses web development, strategic planning, creative development, media planning and buying, public relations, content strategy, social media strategy and event management. Provides innovative and enthusiastic leadership in a team environment. Develops strategies to attract customers and result in success.
Areas of Expertise
- Responsive Web Design, Flexbox & Media Queries
- WordPress & Child Themes
- Content & Engagement Strategy
- Social Media Strategy
- UX Design, Usability Testing & Prototyping
- Research & Analysis
- Industry & Media Relations
- Project Management
- Budgeting & Cost Control
- Initiative & Creativity
Digital Content Strategist (December 2018 – Present)
Elon University – Elon, N.C.
Freelance Web Development & Writing (December 2009 – Present)
Various clients include small businesses, convention and visitors bureaus, colleges/universities, regional and national publications and more.
Assistant Director of Graduate Admissions (July 2016 – December 2018)
Elon University – Elon, N.C.
Tourism Development Manager (April 2013 – June 2015)
County of Franklin, Virginia – Rocky Mount, Va.
Visitor Services Specialist (October 2011 – April 2013)
Roanoke Valley Convention & Visitors Bureau – Roanoke, Va.
Disability Claims Analyst (June 2010 – April 2013)
Disability Determination Services – Roanoke, Va.
Public Relations/Social Media Manager (March 2008 – November 2009)
Shreveport-Bossier Convention & Tourist Bureau – Shreveport, La.
Business/General Assignment Reporter (September 2007 – March 2008)
The Times – Shreveport, La.
Sports Reporter; General Assignment Reporter (April 2005– June 2007)
News & Record – Greensboro, N.C.
Government/General Assignment Reporter (May 2004 – April 2005); Landmark Scholar Intern (summer, winter 2002; summer, winter 2003)
The Roanoke Times – Roanoke, Va.
The Register – Student newspaper, North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University – Greensboro, N.C.
M.A., Interactive Media
Elon University, Elon, N.C. – May 2016
B.S., Journalism and Mass Communication – Print Journalism
North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University, Greensboro, N.C. – May 2004
Creative Writing Course
Virginia Western Community College, Roanoke, Va. – Fall 2011
Affiliations & Recognitions
- Director of Email Marketing, American Marketing Association, Triangle Chapter — 2020
- Phoenix Innovation Award, Elon University — 2020
- Member, Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society – Inducted 2016
- Vice President of Marketing, Blue Ridge Travel Association – 2014-2015 (Secretary 2013-2014)
- Board of Directors and Executive Committee, Roanoke Valley Convention & Visitors Bureau – 2013-2015
- Travel Marketing Professional, Southeast Tourism Society – 2014
- Outstanding Freshman Journalist (2001); Print Journalism Most Promising Student (2002); Outstanding Leadership at The Register (2003); Outstanding Service to The Register (2004); Print Journalism Most Outstanding Student (2004); and Print Journalism Most Outstanding Intern (2004) – N.C. A&T